Every business owner wants to perform the best service possible for his or her clients. We kind of know this innately. But just in case, here are ten facts about customer service that will definitely wake you up.
1. Consumers are 2 times more likely to share their bad customer service experiences than their good ones. (Source: Salesforce.com)
2. 63% of U.S. customers say they have stopped doing business with a brand due to a poor customer service experience. (Source: Microsoft)
3. For every customer complaint, there are 26 other unhappy customers who have remained silent. (Source: Providesupport.com)
4. It takes 12 positive experiences to make up for one unresolved negative experience. (Source: Providesupport.com)
5. By 2020, the customer will manage 85% of the relationship with an enterprise without interacting with a human. (Source: Fonolo.com)
6. Customer Service Week is celebrated annually during the first full week of October. It first became a nationally recognized event in 1992. (Source: CSWeek.com)
7. The first known customer service complaint is inscribed on a clay tablet on display at the British Museum. Apparently, someone delivered copper that was the wrong grade. It was written sometime around 1750 B.C. (Source: OpenCulture.com)
8. An estimated $41 billion is lost by U.S. companies alone each year due to poor customer service. (Source: SocialMediaToday.com)
9. 80% of Americans agree that smaller companies place a greater emphasis on customer service than large businesses. (Source: LiveHelpNow.com).
10. The 1-800 number was invented in 1967. Roy Weber, an AT&T scientist, is the man responsible for 1-800 Nation; he used still-evolving digital technologies to invent a way to offer national toll-free service.
By: Gene Marks